A color sensor that is also called a color recognition sensor is a type of photoelectric sensor that detects and determines the color or light intensity of the target object. This sensor usually detects color on the RGB scale by receiving the light of the environment using a photodiode.
They can classify colors into red, blue, or green. These sensors are also equipped with filters to block unwanted infrared (IR) light and ultraviolet (UV) light.
Color detection sensors act like eye sensors and work based on the reflection of light from the surface of the material. These sensors receive and detect waves emitted by the material and report it in one of the ways of current, voltage, or frequency.
Browse our wide selection of Color Sensor products category with the highest quality.
Working Principle of The Color Sensor
To determine the color of materials, three main types of equipment are required. A light source to illuminate the surface of the material, target surfaces, and receiver that can measure reflected wavelengths.
Color sensors have a white light emitter for surface illumination. Three filters with different wavelength sensitivities are placed to measure red, green, and blue wavelengths.
Based on the activation of these filters, the color of the material is classified. There is also a light to voltage converter in the sensor. The sensor responds to color by generating a voltage corresponding to the detected color. When there is a change in the distance to the target object, the color recognition and ratio do not change.
So if the distance of the target object changes or moves around, the color of the target object is differentiated steadily.
Features of color sensors at a glance
- Recognition of differences in color and appearance
- Stable detection, even when distance changes
- High Accuracy
- Wide Wavelength range
- Low cost
- High Frequency
- High-resolution color
Color sensors Industries
- Textile industries
- Automotive industries
- Food industry
- Printing industries
- Pharmaceutical industry
Color sensors Application
Color sensors are used to measure and detect the color of surfaces and target objects.
These sensors have wide applications such as:
- Classifying products based on color
- Detection of colored caps in a filling station
- LED control in the automotive industry
- Grading of colored products determines coded marks, detects the data codes on a package
- Color detection and color identification
- Used in image processing, digital signal processing, and object identification
- Used in true color Recognition
- Distinguish different shades of colors.
- Quality control in visual inspection tools – monitor the color changes
- Process control, production, and quality assurance
- Controls, stores and evaluates the visible colors.
On the following link, we suggest you to check out hue motion sensor.
We recommend the following articles for your consideration: